Thursday, March 25, 2010

An Open Letter to Educators

This weeks assignment was to read the blog, "An Open Letter to Educators" by Morgan Bayada and to watch the video by Dan Brown. I found both of their opinions on educaton very interesting. They both brought up very good points about the education system in universities nowadays.
Every student in college has or has had a boring teacher who will do nothing but stand at a desk and flap their lips for hours about information that could be better understood by researching on the internet. I for example, have a history teacher this semester who does just that. He sets up a powerpoint and displays it on the overhead projector. He reads it to us and does nothing but talk in a monotone voice and explain information that puts me to sleep. Whats worse, is that he hands us copies of the powerpoint so whats the point of coming to class? Does he just like hearing himself talk? I think so. I dread going to this class and when I am there, I would rather run face first into a concrete wall. I have gotten such horrible grades on the tests because he will put 1 essay worth 75 points and 5 i.d questions worth 25 points. Therefore if you happen to not know the essay, or don't understand completly, because he is such a horrible teacher, you automatically fail the test. Even if I memorized the information, it would be burp back education, because the second I walked out of that class, I would throw all the information out of my head.
That is not the education I deserve when I am paying money I don't even have (loans=debt)to get a degree.
In the video, Dan Brown says that he dropped out of the University of Nebraska becuase he felt, his schooling was getting in the way of his education." I think he should have stayed in school. Although we all as students, will have a professor who bores us to death, we need to suck it up and do the best we can until we reach our goal of a degree. We can use those horrible teaching styles as an example of how NOT to teach our future students!

No comments:

Post a Comment